Plan now to participate in a virtual public heaingr on Wednesday, November 17, at 7 pm on planned bicycle and pedestrian improvements around the Vienna Metro station. This is the latest in a series of meetings on the project this year. It will be a great opportunity to show support for bicycle infrastructure and bicyclist and pedestrian safety as key elements of all projects to improve accessibility and connectivity to multimodal transportation networks. The hearing also is a good time to share your ideas on how to make the project better.
The project under discussion will be located on Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard between Sutton Road and the ramp to westbound I-66 and along Sutton Road between Blake Lane and Country Creek Road. Its elements deserve a strong show of support to encourage planners and other officials to make such improvements standard for all similar projects.
VDOT and Fairfax County plan includes the following interim improvements scheduled to begin in the fall of 2022:
- Separated two-way cycle track on eastbound Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard between Sutton Road and the Metro North Parking Lot entrance
- Buffered bike lane on Sutton Road between Sutton Green Court and Country Creek Road
- Upgraded pedestrian signals
- Installation of related signs and pavement markings
The final project plan includes:
- Shared-use paths along Blake Lane and Sutton Road from the I-66 bridge to Country Creek Road
- Separated two-way cycle track with adjacent sidewalk along Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard
- Road diet along Country Creek Road/Virginia Center Boulevard from Sutton Road to the Metro North Parking Lot entrance
- Consolidated and relocated bus stops for improved transit access
- Realigned I-66 westbound ramp to Country Creek Road
- Modified traffic signals at surrounding intersections
Construction for the final improvements is expected to begin in summer 2024.
The project was first discussed at a virtual public information meeting on March 2021. You can watch a video of that meeting here.
You can find project details and sign up for the November public meeting at the VDOT project website https://www.virginiadot.org/ViennaMetroBikePed. The project team will make a short presentation beginning at 7 pm and answer questions for about an hour after the presentation.
If unable to participate in the meeting, you can still provide your thoughts on the project through December 3 on the comment page of the VDOT project website above. You can also email comments to [email protected]. Please reference “Vienna Metro Station Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements” in the subject line. Finally, you can send a letter to Mr. Zamir Mirza, Virginia Department of Transportation, 4975 Alliance Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030.