- Cedar Lane bridge over I-66 will be closed between mid-May and November 2020.
- See detour route for bicyclists below.
Our friends at the Virginia Department of Transportation have alerted us to a planned bridge closing that will affect some riders who transit the Dunn Loring/Merrifield area.
The Cedar Lane bridge over I-66 is being demolished and rebuilt to make room for I-66 widening as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway project. The bridge is planned to close for approximately six months starting on or about May 15, 2020.
Bicyclists should follow the directions below or develop their own route using the BikeFairfax interactive Bike Map:
Southbound Detour (from Vienna/Tysons)
- From Cedar Lane/Cottage Street intersection, travel east on Cottage Street (left turn from southbound Cedar Lane) and proceed to Gallows Road.
- At the Gallows Road signal, turn right/head south on Gallows Road and travel over I-66 using bike lane or side trail
- Turn right on Avenir Place
- Continue straight on to Merrilee Drive
- Turn right on Merrifield Avenue
- Turn left on Dorr Avenue to Hilltop Road
- Turn right on Hilltop Road and, depending on traffic, use bikeable sidewalk to Cedar Lane
Northbound Detour (from Fairfax/Falls Church)
- From Cedar Lane, turn right on Willowmere Drive to Hilltop Road
- Turn right on Hilltop Road to Dorr Avenue
- Turn left on Dorr Avenue, then turn right on Merrifield Avenue
- Turn left on Merrilee Drive and stay straight on to Avenir Place to Gallows Road
- At Gallows Road, turn left/head north and travel over I-66 using trail or bike lane
- Turn left onto Cottage Street and continue west until reaching Cedar Lane
Even with the recent temporary reduction in traffic, use caution along the heavier traveled streets.
FABB highly recommends using the BikeFairfax Interactive Map for developing bicycle routes for commuting, errands, and recreation. If you have a safe and accessible route you would like to share with other riders in your neighborhood, please let us know at [email protected].