Alexandria-area supporters, there’s still time to Speak Up for more bike lanes! Following the bicyclist fatality last month, a virtual public meeting was held last Tuesday on proposed safety improvements for 1.5 miles of Telegraph Road between Florence Lane and Mission Court. As part of VDOT’s annual repaving program, they plan to narrow the travel lanes, add a bike lane on the northbound side, widen the shoulder on the southbound side, and mark or enhance several crosswalks. Two travel lanes and existing turn lanes will remain.
Telegraph Road is a critical bicycling connection for the community. More safe infrastructure is needed on Telegraph to make the road safer for biking and walking and to achieve the County’s active transportation and equity goals. Providing these safety improvements and a bike lane as part of VDOT’s annual repaving program is a good first step. This project complements a separate sidewalk project that will commence soon to complete missing sidewalk gaps along Telegraph.
FCDOT is accepting comments on the project through July 27, 2021. Submit your comments here and tell them:
- You want a safe, comfortable space to bike along Telegraph Road.
- You support enhanced, complete crosswalks at Tracey Court and Old Telegraph Road, The Parkway, and Florence Lane.
- You support safe, separated bikeways that connect communities, encourage more active transportation, reduce vehicle miles traveled, and improve the environment.
- Safe, separated bike space is a step toward achieving equity.
- Space for active transportation is an essential resource that connects communities to transit, nature, and each other.
Fairfax County and VDOT collaborate during the repaving and restriping process to implement elements of the Fairfax County Comprehensive Plan that seeks to improve traffic safety and provide transportation options to people around the County.
Don’t wait. Send your comments today!
More information about the project may be viewed here.