- Act now to ask Congress to encourage bike commuting with tax incentives to make biking more accessible, affordable, and attainable.
- Bicycling to work has numerous benefits for the people biking and for society at large, including better health outcomes, lower emissions, and lower transportation costs.
Join with FABB in supporting the League of American Bicyclists’ advocacy for the return of the Bicycle Commuter Benefit.
Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) has introduced an amendment to the Build Back Better Act containing key provisions of the Bicycle Commuter Act of 2021. The amendment would:
- Reinstate the bicycle commuter benefit, a common-sense incentive to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and encourage people to go by bike. It would also extend the benefit to people using bikeshare and electric bikes.
- Allow employees to use up to 20 percent of the parking benefit for bicycling expenses so that employees can use the benefit in combination with the parking and transit benefit. This gives commuters more freedom to use a variety of transportation modes and still receive benefits.
- Simplify the administration of the bike commuter benefit, allowing employees to use the benefit pre-tax and saving employers from having to collect and record receipts.
Virginia’s senators appear to be on board with the Brown amendment. Still, it never hurts to Speak Up! and let our elected officials know the strength of our support.