Plan now to participate in a virtual meeting this Wednesday to support and learn more about the regional collaboration required to keep travelers in Northern Virginia moving. Representatives from the Commonwealth Transportation Board, Virginia Department of Transportation, Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation, Office of Intermodal Planning and Investment, Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, Northern Virginia Transportation Commission, and Virginia Railway Express will be attending.
The meeting is from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm on Wednesday, December 15, 2021. The public is encouraged to participate and offer comments on regional transportation initiatives.
FABB encourages participants to:
- Remind the representatives that last summer’s Northern Virginia Transportation Authority survey ranked “more transit, walking, biking options” as the number one priority.
- Stress that getting more people to bike by improving infrastructure and expanding multimodal transportation options are the most cost-effective and quick solutions to the 2nd and 3rd most commonly selected priorities of “improve travel time predictability” and “reduce traffic congestion.”
- Ask that the FY2022-2027 Six Year Program Plans reverse its emphasis on new roadway capacity and/or alignment projects and instead emphasize multimodal projects favoring bicycling, walking, and transit.
- Press for relevant plans to include safe and secure bicycle parking infrastructure at VRE, Metro, and other transit stations and stops.
- Urge the representatives to support plans that encourage greater use of future shared-use paths by requiring them to be a minimum of 12-foot wide with 2-foot shoulders and adequate protection/distance from roadways.
Participants are required to register online, but this is an excellent opportunity to Speak Up! for better bicycling that should not be missed.
If unable to participate, you can still submit comments through January 7, 2022 using this online comment form, or by email at [email protected]