- Act now to support Bicyclist Safety Act!
- Let your representatives know that we need to improve road safety for everyone.
FABB encourages all riders and people who love riders to support The Bicyclist Safety Act, a commonsense proposal that is under consideration by the 2021 Virginia General Assembly.
We are asking everyone to respond to the call to action by our friends at the Virginia Bicycling Federation (VBF) and to contact elected representatives in support of the House and Senate bills to improve the safety of bike riding for all Virginians.
The proposed legislation has three parts that:
- Require Drivers to Change Lanes to Pass
- Allow Bike Riders to Ride 2-Abreast at All Times
- Require Bike Riders to Yield At Stop Signs, the “Safety Stop”
Similar laws in other states have resulted in significant safety improvements and greatly enhanced the efficiency and pleasure of riding bikes.
As important, the law will benefit motorists by clarifying, simplifying, and improving passing maneuvers as drivers approach bicyclists from the rear and deal with oncoming traffic.
To help make bicycling better and safer for all Virginians, please do the following:
- Fill out the VBF form here: VBF 2021 General Assembly Call to Action
- Share this post on your social media, with your clubs, groups, bike shops, friends and family.
- Email your Senator and Delegate with a personal note. Here’s how to find who that is: https://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/
- Please call or email the Chair of the Senate Transportation Committee, Senator David W. Marsden, whose district covers parts of Fairfax County, at (804) 698-7537 or email: [email protected] and ask him to support SB1263.
FABB greatly appreciates your critical support to our mission to make bicycling better in Fairfax County.